Liam de Roiste T.D. Cork
Sinn Fein & Volunteers: A very good collection of original letters and circulars addressed to Liam de Roiste, mostly 1905-1925, many of them concerning Sinn Fein, and Volunteer matters in the Cork area, including:
* Interesting A.L.s dated 1914 from P. O’Mahony of Rosscarbery, explaining that he has not proceeded with forming a Corps of Volunteers because of local divisions (over the split with Redmond).
* Manuscript copy in De Roiste’s hand of a letter sent to George Crosbie concerning misrepresentations in ” Evening Echo 1918″.
* Cyclostyled typescript, ” Attack on Alderman Liam de Roiste’s House and Murder of Rev. Fr. O’Callaghan … May 15th 1921.” 3pp., with Memorial Card for Fr. O’Callaghan.
* Three A.L.s. from “Padraig” concerning Volunteer and other matters in Cork, 1918.
* British Passport issued to “Mr. Liam de Roiste, Formerly William Roche, 1919.”
* Funeral Account and Memorial Card for Liam de Roiste, d. 1959.
* Polling Card for Candidates of The United Irish League, for South Ward, Cork City, with photographs.
* A letter from Sean Horan, 25/8/12, to Liam de Roiste, with a Memorial Card.
* A letter from P.S. O’Heigeartaigh, 26/4/07.
* A collection of approx. 24 varied letters and cards, some in Irish to Liam de Roiste, some concerning Sinn Fein and Volunteer matters, other concerning Colaiste na Mumhan at Ballinageary, a few personal to and from his wife, some election circulars from United Irish League (Cork) etc.
Very good collection, as a lot, w.a.f.
Liam de Roiste was an early associate of Terence Mc Swiney in the Cork Celtic Literary Society and later Sinn Fein and the Irish Volunteers. He became a T.D. and supported the Treaty. He was an active supporter of the Irish Language and was involved in supporting the Irish College at Ballingeary. (1)