Harry Clarke Studios: “St. Bernadette and Our Lady of Lourdes,” originally 2 panels, but now the bottom panel only present, approx. 52cms x 64cms (20 1/2″ x 25 1/4″), now in temporary wooden display frame. * In 1973, William Dowling manager of the studio as well as designer, wrote to a Mrs. McDonald of Goodwich, Wales, reminding her that the window had been commissioned and paid for in 1945, but that the studios had not received the address of the church, the wording of the inscription, or an import licence. He told her that the studios had written to her a few times over the years, with no reply. When this letter was greeted with silence, he wrote to the parish priest of a church in Fishguard, Wales, who replied, saying that his was the intended church, and he would be happy to find a place for the window. In his reply, Dowling informed the priest that insertion of the agreed inscription and the cost of packing would amount to £33. Shipping costs would be extra and would depend on weight. That appears to have been the last letter about the window. There is no indication as to how the top panel disappeared. This window, which displays the influence of Harry Clarke, was probably by William Dowing himself. Richard King had left the studios in 1939. (1) Provenance: The Collection of the late David Clarke.