Cameron (Sir Chas.) History of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, and of the Irish Schools of Medicine include a Medical Bibliography… thick 8vo D. 1916. First Edn., illus. cloth, gilt. V. good. (1)More details ›
Kirkpatrick (T. Percy C.) History of the Medical Teaching in Trinity College Dublin, 8vo D. 1912. First, illus. d.w.; & 4 others on Dublin Medical Schools. (5)More details ›
Wilde (W.R.) The Closing Years of Dean Swift’s Life, 8vo D. 1849. First Edn., end. port. forntis, L.S. on t.p., text illus. orig. cloth, gilt lettered; also Memoir of Gabriel Beranger, and His Labours in the Cause of Irish Art and Antiquities. Roy 8vo D. 1880. First Edn., text illus. cat. of Berenger’s works at end, cloth. Both Scarce. (2)More details ›
Nardini (Famiano) Roma Antica, sm. 4to Rome 1666. First Edn., wd.-cut device on title, 16 engd. plts. & maps, (some fold.), text illus., errata slip; Bound with Discorso d’Ottavio Falconiere, 32pp & Lettera d’Ottavio Falconiere al Sig Carlo Dati, 12pp cont. mottled calf, raised bands, tooled gilt spine in panels, worn. (1)More details ›
Architecture: Felibien (Andre) Des Principes de LArchitecture, de la Sculpture, de la Peinture et Des Autres Arts Qui en Dependent, 4to Paris 1697. Third Edn. engd. frontis, red & bl. title with vignette, 65 full page engd. plts. a few tains at beginning and end, lacks front loose ends, blind tooled reverse calf, worn. (1)More details ›
With Hand-Coloured Plates
[Duppa (Richard)] The Classesand Orders of the Linnaean System of Botany, Illustrated with Select Specimens of Foreign and Indigenous Plants. 3 vols roy 8vo L. (T. Bensley) 1816. First Edn., 3 hd. cold. frontis & 237 hand cold. plts. some off setting, a.e..g, cont. straight grained crimson mor. multiple fillet borders, & each cover with central tooled gilt decor., spines profusely tooled in panels. V. good set. (3)More details ›
Waterton (Chas.) Wanderings in South America, The North-West of the United States, and the Antilles,… 1812, 1816, 1820 & 1824. 8vo L. 1828. Second Edn., hf. title, engd. frntis, uncut, boards worn, spine dam. (1)More details ›
Caulfield (Richard) Teh Council Book of the Corporation of the City of Cork, thick 4to Guildford Surrey 1876. First Edn., orig. gilt lettered cloth. Good. (1)More details ›
O’Brien (George) The Economic History of Ireland in the Seventeenth Century, D. 1919; Economic History of Ireland from the Union to the Famine, L. 1921; & An Essay on the Economic Efecs of the Reformation, L. 1923. All First Edns., all cloth. (3)More details ›
Irish Hunts: Fitzpatrick (B.M.) Irish Sport and Sportsmen, 8vo D. 1879. New Edn., orig. photo frontis of Marquis of Waterford, covers in detail approx. 16 Irish Hunts, & some of their personalities. Orig. cloth, gilt. (1)More details ›
Gilbert (J.T.) A History of the City of Dublin, 3 vols. 8vo D. 1861. First Edn., 3 fold. maps, orig. cloth. Good. (3)More details ›
[Gordon (John)] A New Estimate of Manners and Principles; being a Comparison between Ancient and Modern Times In the three reat Artilces of Knowledge, Happiness, and Virtue;.. Parts I & II, 2 Parts 8vo Cambridge 1760, 4pp adverts at end; also ‘Part III of Happiness; in which Some Princiles of Mr. Rousseau are Examined’ 8vo Cambridge 1761. All First Edn. 2pp. adverts at end; bound with; The Ignorant Philosopher, With an Address to the Public Upon The Parricides imputed to the Families of Callas and Sirven. Trans. from the French of M. de Voltaire. 8vo L. 1767. Hf. title, advert. leaf at end, cont. full calf, tooled gilt fillet border, spine gilt pin panels, mor. labels.(1)More details ›
Illustrated by Beatrice Elvery
Russell (Violet) Heroes of The Dawn, 8vo D. n.d. First Edn., attractive cold. frontis & 3 other cold. plts. plus 16 bl. & white plts., orig. cloth, gilt decor. stained. Scarce. (1)More details ›
Letter-Book of Lieutenant James Crawford
Manuscript: A small quarto manuscript book containign copies of a series of leters associated with the 90th Reiment of Foot. Most o them were written to or by a Lieutenant James Crawford, who signs himself as either Paymaster or Adjutant of the 2nd Battalion. They cover the years 1810-1812, with two later letters of 1813 and 1815.
The 90th Regiment or Perthshire Volunteers was raised in 1794 in response to the outbreak of war between Britain and revolutionary France, and lasted until 1881 when it was amalgamated with the 26th Reiment and became the Second Battalion of the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles). As a volunteer regimet its purpose was to defend the homeland rather than to fight overseas, and throughout the period covered by the letter-book it was stationed in Ireland, in Enniskillen, Dundalk, Dublin & Mallow and later in Limerick.
While the letters do contain personal references, their content is mainly administrative, dealing with questions such as recruiting, leaves of absence, finances, the movement and behaviour of individual soldiers, accidents and illnesses. They are significant as an example of the day-to-day running of a British regiment during the Napoleonic Wars and to some extent of the relationshiops of oficers within the same battalion. Interesting item. As a m/ss., w.a.f. (1)More details ›
Pamphlets: Works on The Catholic Church, including:
1. Anon. An Answer to Some Papers Lately Printed, concerning the Authority of the Catholic Church, In Matters of Faith, and the Reformation of the Church of England, 4to L. 1686. With ‘Imprimatur’ leaf, [IV] 72pp & advert leaf.
2. Anon. A Reply to the Answer Made upon the Three Royal Papers, 4to L. 1686. (4), 56pp & advert leaf at end.
3. Anon. A Vindication of the Answer to some Late Papers Concernin the Unity and Authority of the Catholic Church,.. 4to L. 1687. With Imprimatur leaf, 118pp & advert leaf.
4. Anon. A Discourse of the Communion in One Kind: in Answer to a Treatise of the Bishop of Meaux’s.. 4to L. 1687. ‘Licence’ leaf at front, 138pp & advert leaf at end.
5. Anon. The Pillar and Ground of Truth. A Treatise shwoing That the Roman Catholic falsly claims to be that Church, and the Pillar of That Truth mentioned by S. Pual…, 4to L. 1687. [X], 126pp & 3pp of adverts.
Together 5 works, bound as one, in recent hf. mor. raised bands. As a coll. of pamphlets, w.a.f. Good. (1)More details ›
Sermons: A colleciton of 12 varied Pamphlets bound as one, including:
1. Marsh (Herbert) Teh National Religion the Foundation of National Education.. A Sermon.. 8vo L. 1811, 33pp advert leaf, & 4pp ‘New System of Education’.
2. Graves (Rev. R.) A Sermon Occasioned by the death of the Rt. Rev. John Law, D.D., Bishop of Elphin, D. 1810, 29pp, advert. leaf.
3. Le Bas (Chas. Webb) A Sermon delivered in the Chapel of the East India College…, 8vo Hertford 1830. 16pp.
4. Austin (Gilbert) A Sermon on the Future State.. Preached at The Magdalen Asylum, Leeson Street Dublin, 8vo D. 1794, First Edn., IV, 36pp.
5. O’Beirne (Thos. Lewis) A Charge delivered to the Clergy of the Diocese of Meath, D. 1810, 36pp. Pres. Copy to Lovett Edgeworth, inscribed.
6. Elrington (Rev. T.) A Sermon … in Saint Peter’s Church,.. 8vo D. 1816, First Edn., 29pp + Appendix 1,2, & 3.
And approx. 6 other sim., together 12 works in one vol. cont. hf. calf, spine dam. As a coll., w.a.f. (1)More details ›
Pamphlets: on “The Union”: Pitt (Rt. Hon. Wm.) Speech.. in the British House of Commons on Thursday Jan. 31, 1799, 8vo D. 1799. First Edn., 53pp;
2. Smith (Wm.) Review of a Publication, entitled The Speech of the Rt. Hon. John Foster,… 8vo D. 1799. First Edn., 63pp.
3. Johnson (Wm.) Reasons for Adopting an Union between Ireland and Great Britain, 8vo D. 1799. First Edn., 61pp.
4. Dundas (Rt. Hon. H.) Substance of the Speech… in the House of Commons .. on the Subject of the Legislative Union with Ireland,D. 1799. First Edn., 68pp.
5. Peel (Rob.) The Substance of the Speech.. Respecting an Incorporate Union with Ireland, 8vo D. 1799. First Edn. 22pp & advert. leaf.
6. Addington (Henry) Substance of the Speech …on 12th feb. 1799. D. 1799. Third Edn. hf. title, 32pp;
7. Auckland (Lord) Substance of the Speech…,D. 1799. First Edn, hf. title, 53pp + Appendix, fold. tables. etc.
8. Anon. Necessity of an Incorporate Union between Great Britain and Ireland. with a Sketch of the Principles upon which it Ought to be formed. 8vo D. 1799. First Edn., hf. title, 90pp.
Together 8 items in one, all v. good, cont. hf. calf, spine dam., as a coll., w.a.f. (1)More details ›
Irish Arts & Crafts & Home Industries: Irish International Exhibition, 1907 – Irish Rural Life and Industry, Foreword by The Countess of Aberdeen. 8vo D. (Hely Ltd.) 1907. Sole Edn., cold. maps, profusley illus. adverts orig. gilt decor. buckram. V. good.
* A very valuable record. (1)More details ›
Gilbert (John T.) Calendar of Ancient Records of Dublin, Vol. I – Vol. XVIII, together 18 vols. roy 8vo D. 1890 – 1922. Ports. & fold. cold. & other illus., partly unopened, orig. mor. backed cloth boards, gilt decor. Very good clean set. (18)
* A further volume was later issued after the Authors death by his widow Lady Gilbert, Vol. XIX.More details ›
Kirkpatrick (T. Percy C.) The Book of the Rotunda Hospital, lg. 4to L. 1913. First, plts.; also Browne (O’Donel T.D.) The Rotunda Hospital 1745-1945, 4to Edin. 1947, First Edn., frontis plts., cltoh & d.w. (2)More details ›