SOLD Hammer price €70
A pair of unusual antique Continental Decanters and stoppers, each with two handles, and with etched decoration; a small glass Decanter and stopper with similar decoration; and an engraved Glass Stand. (4)More details ›
SOLD Hammer price €150
An early 19th Century small Irish cutglass circular Bowl. (1)More details ›
SOLD Hammer price €180
A large and elaborate cutglass Table Lamp, in two parts. (1)More details ›
SOLD Hammer price €260
An exceptionally good large modern Waterford cutglass Fruit Bowl, a smaller similar cutglass Bowl and a pair of small Waterford cutglass Baskets. (4)More details ›
SOLD Hammer price €100
An Art Nouveau coloured glass Vase; and a milk glass Basket with applied floral decoration, and amber glass handle; a cloud glass circular Dish; and five pieces of coloured Glass. (8)More details ›
SOLD Hammer price €600
An unusual pair of 19th Century blue glass enamelled Portrait Vases, with oval panels of young ladies, gilt overall decoration, 30cms (12″) high. (2)More details ›
SOLD Hammer price €750
An almost matching pair of elegant 19th Century Bohemian overlaid and cutglass Vases, with variant bases, and overall gilt highlights, 34cms (13 1/2″) high. (2)More details ›
SOLD Hammer price €1500
A good matching pair of 19th Century Bohemian enamelled Portrait Vases, with portraits of young maidens, approx. 31cms (12) high, and a similar Vase with portrait of an Empress, 26cms (10″) high, all profusely decorated with gilt highlights. (3)More details ›
SOLD Hammer price €150
A collection of varied Bottles of Spirits, Wine etc., including Brandy, Port, Creme de Monthe, Champagne, Sherry, Wine etc., approx. 20 varied bottles, as a lot. (1)More details ›
SOLD Hammer price €450
A large 19th Century leather Trunk, profusely bound and decorated with brass mounts and studs, and with heavy brass carrying handles. (1)More details ›
SOLD Hammer price €5750
A pair of attractive composed carved and painted pine Gothic Revival Breakfront Console Tables, with large Italian flecked marble tops in the manner of Del Vecchio, above a breakfront frieze of oak leaves and acorns, on carved lion mask front monopodia with Gothic tracery panels on paw feet, with back legs carved as cluster columns, 168cms (66″)wide; 104cms (41″) high & 76cms (30″) deep. (2)More details ›
SOLD Hammer price €700
A very attractive two door marquetry and ormolu mounted Side Cabinet, the shaped pink marble top over a profusely inlaid body decorated with vases of flowers etc., on a shaped plinth base, 122cms (48″) wide. (1)More details ›
SOLD Hammer price €800
A very fine and attractive pair of fret carved Chinese Chippendale style mahogany Buckets, with full plain octagonal liners, 20th Century. (2)More details ›
SOLD Hammer price €4000
An extremely fine early 19th Century French Boulle Centre Table, the rectangular top profusely decorated with flowers and scrolls and with heavy brass rim, over a decorated frieze with three frieze drawers one stamped “Diehl Paris, 19 Rue Michel-le-Comte,” on four tapering square legs united by X shaped stretcher shelf, 140cms x 86cms (55″ x 34″). (1)More details ›
SOLD Hammer price €1500
From the Collection of Hon. Fred Lawless Lord Cloncurry
A very fine quality carved 19th Century mahogany wing back Armchair, in the Chippendale style by Butler of Dublin with remains of label, the entire upholstered and covered in antique floral red ground tapestry and front carved legs with paw feet.
Provenance: Inscribed on base “From Hon. Fred. K Lawless, Nov. 1908”. (1)More details ›
SOLD Hammer price €1500
A fine quality carved 19th Century mahogany wing back Armchair, in the Chippendale style possibly by Butler, Dublin, the entire upholstered and covered in antique floral red ground tapestry and front carved legs with paw feet, almost en suite with previous lot.
Provenance: Fred. Lawless, Lord Cloncurry. (1)More details ›
SOLD Hammer price €1250
A good set of eight Chippendale style mahogany Dining Chairs, each with carved and pierced splat backs over generous sized seats covered in red leather, on square legs. (8)More details ›
SOLD Hammer price €4800
An exceptionally fine quality William IV period Dining Table, with 12 well carved and tapering turned legs with heavy brass castors, with four large extra leaves, approx. 158cms (62″) wide x 424cms (13’9″) fully extended. (1)More details ›
SOLD Hammer price €2000
A good pair of mahogany Library Armchairs, William IV period, probably Irish, with padded back, sides and seat and and leaf carved arm finials, raised on baluster carved and turned legs. (2)More details ›
SOLD Hammer price €3200
Unique Scale Model by Benjamin Woodward
“The Castellated Gate Lodge”
Dromore Castle, Templenoe, Co. Kerry
The above lot is the Scale Model of Dromore Castle Gate Lodge, designed by Benjamin Woodward, Architect, Cork & Dublin, 1816-1861.
This imposing model, is made in two sections, mostly of Baltic pitch pine and measuring approximately 105cms (41¼”) high x 114cms (45″) wide, on a scale of one inch to one foot.
The Gate Lodge was completed by Benjamin Woodward c.1849, in the Gothic Revival style. The lodge has a chimney at one end and a hexagonal turret at the other, while the castle has a round turret with spiral staircase and round rooms, attached to a larger round tower.
Dromore Castle lies in woodland overlooking the Kenmare Bay, six miles outside Kenmare on the road to Blackwater Bridge and Sneem. Commissioned by Denis Mahony and designed and built by the architect Sir Thomas Deane, the building was started in 1831, but not completed until 1839. Deane’s Scale Model of the Castle is now owned by the National Architectural Archive, Dublin where it is on permanent display.
Benjamin Woodward (1816-1861), Architect. Born on the 16th November, 1816, in Tullamore, County Offaly, little is known about his early education. However, after the family eventually settled in Dublin, he began an apprenticeship in civil engineering, probably in 1833, with William Stokes, Civil Engineer, a friend of the family. His proficiency in the profession of architectural design was thus self-taught.
In June 1844, he produced a set of measured drawings for Holy Cross Abbey, Co Tipperary. On the strength of these he was elected to the Kilkenny Archaeological Society. The drawings also caught the eye of Sir Thomas Deane, the celebrated Cork architect. It was their expertise that persuaded Deane to invite Woodward to join his Cork firm in 1846. Later that year these same drawings were exhibited at the Royal Institute of British Architects in London. Woodward was then appointed to help design large scale neo-Gothic works, including Queen’s College Cork, (1846-1849), and later The Asylum at Glanmire in Cork.
In 1851 Deane made him a partner in the firm of Deane and Woodward, alongside his son, Thomas Newenham Deane. In 1852, when the plans submitted by Woodward for the design of the new Museum at Trinity College Dublin met with approval, the firm moved to Upper Merrion Street, Dublin. The partnership continued to flourish in Ireland and England and the acceptance of Woodward’s plans for the Oxford University Museum of Natural History, which was begun in 1855, marked the highlight of his career.
His Irish work included approximately twenty private dwellings in Kerry, Dublin, Kilkenny and Wexford, his last major project for Deane and Woodward being the Kildare Street Club in Dublin. Designed in 1858 with Venetian details, it included a magnificent central staircase and remarkable stone carvings executed by C.W. Harrison and probably by James O’Shea. It was finished in 1861, but he did not live to see its completion, dying that year at the age of 45.
Woodward was one of the most accomplished, original and prolific architects of 19th Century Ireland, designing over sixty buildings in the last twelve years of his life alone. He was also devoted to the conservation of medieval buildings. He incorporated the original C12 Romanesque chancel during the restoration of St. Mary’s Cathedral in Tuam,. He was the first Inspector of National Monuments to be appointed under The Irish Board of Works.
Reference “Dictionary of Irish Biography”, R.I.A. 2009.
After the death of Denis Mahony, who was a Minister of the Church, the castle was left to his son Richard, who, when he died in 1870, owned over 26,000 acres in County Kerry. The estate passed to his son Harald Segerson Mahony. A gold-medallist in Philosophy at TCD, he was the last Irishman to win a Wimbledon Singles title, in 1896, also winning the Irish Singles that year. Nine years later, he was tragically killed in a cycling accident in Kerry, aged 37. Neither he nor his sister, Nora Evaleen Hood, had children and the property passed from Nora to her cousin and mother’s great-nephew, Hughe Bolton Waller. It remained in the Waller family until it was sold in 1994.
Hence by descent to the Present Owners.More details ›